Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Baby And A Puppy? What Was I Thinking?!

Ok, don't get me wrong, I love Bella! But not her constant accidents on my carpet. Luckily she hasn't pooped on it. But she's a yelper and I'm discovering the hard way that a needy puppy and a needy baby are hard to handle at the same time! Not to mention her yelp wakes up the baby and then I have 2 criers. This is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought. It would be easier if she would go in her crate. I've had to lock her in the garage so far and the space isn't small enough to teach her potty control. At least it's not my carpet though. Does anyone know how I teach her not to yelp though?

3 comments:

Shana said...

Let her just cry it out! Seriously, put her in her crate and ignore her till she is quiet. After she is quiet for 20 minutes, give her a treat, let her out and play with her. The next time you put her in, do it for even longer... then longer, etc... Rylee was like that too, but she is doing a bit better. Today I put her in twice for an hour naps and she didn't even cry! I had to actually go and wake her up. :)
I really don't know what you were thinking with a baby and a baby dog! man girl, you are brave!!

Kimberlie said...

I was thinking the same thing that you are way brave to do both. But with our first kid I don't think think I would have realized it... so don't worry about it.

Can't give you advice on dogs. Never had one....

Chris said...

We've house trained many, many dogs. The trick is consistency. Take them out continually and keep saying "go potty". It will become familiar to them real fast. Don't scold them to harshly but if you see her squat then grab her quickly and race her outside telling her "no" the whole way. Good luck!!!! (I don't think Shana realized how hard it is to train a new puppy to be housetrained..) hahaha...