Thursday, September 13, 2007

Up In The Night

I thought after 4 months things were supposed to get better, not worse when it comes to the baby sleeping better. He's up ALL NIGHT!! Here's how his schedule has been lately... he goes to bed between 7:30 and 8, wakes up around 12, I roll him over and he goes back to sleep until around 1 or 1:30 usually. Then he gets his bottle. Let's say he goes back to bed at 2, he wakes up at 2:15, 2:30, and again at 3. Keep in mind I'm having to get up and turn him over every time or he starts to ball, then John doesn't get any sleep and he has to get up between 4 and 5. So he's up again at 3 and I turn him over yet again. He sleeps until 4 or 4:45, then decides he's up for the day. That is just not going to work. So by then John is usually up anyway, so I just let him cry in his crib at that point. Then sometime around 6 he might go back to sleep. In which case, he'll wake up again at about 7:30. Now tell me... is that a complete nightmare or what?! What do I do with him? Drug him at night so he'll actually sleep? I'm exhausted and I don't know what his problem is. Have any of you had this happen to you before? How do you fix it?

2 comments:

Elaine said...

He has got to learn to pacify himself back to sleep when he wakes up but the only way to do that is to let him cry it out and I know how difficult that can be. It could take 3 nights of hell but when you were doing this you were so stubborn after 3 nights I couldn't take it anymore but you should try it. You need to put him in the crib upstairs and you sleep in Alex's bed or the couch and Alex sleeps downstairs. Try that for 3 nights. Do it when I can help you during the day if you aren't getting any sleep. Good Luck.

Shana said...

I agree with your mom. You need to read the book Baby Wise. I really am not good at advicing this beacuse I have had the same problem with both kids. But I have had great examples/friends who have read this book and it works like NO OTHER! I have never read it, that is probably why I dealt with the same stuff you are dealing with now. Anyhow... It goes something like... When he wake up, change his diaper... then feed him... then play with him... Then put him to sleep by HIMSELF in his crib. He wakes up... etc... etc... you start all over. Keep him awake from 6-9 by entertaining him and then put him to sleep... let him cry- Unless you think he needs to still eat around 2-3...But seriously. I would only let him eat once in the night. If not, he is gonna be up all night. Ok, enough advice from me because I am NOT good at this part. But please take the advice- Get the book! If you ever need potty training advice, I am your girl! But until then... ???