Thursday, September 27, 2007

In Memory Of Chris

I just received a phone call from my good friend Chris's brother-in-law. He told me that the cancer in Chris's lungs has gotten worse, and he's going to die today or tomorrow. Immediately I started crying. Chris has been battling cancer for as long as I've known him. He's had numerous surgeries to remove tumors from his arm, back, and for the last few months, tons of kemo to try and kill the tumors in his lungs. When I last spoke to him, he said things were looking promising. I don't know now if he was lieing to me to make me feel better. But now I know the truth. They have only gotten bigger, and the doctors say there's nothing more they can do. He's at his home now on a morphine drip. Shane (his brother-in-law) said that he's delusional and drifting in and out of consciousness. I can't believe this is happening to him! Chris is such a good guy with a huge heart! Ever since I've known him, I've known that he could do great things in life.
I met Chris when I was in Denmark. We became good friends there, and have kept in touch ever since. He lives in Provo, so we were able to see each other often. He used to "translate" for me in church. But I have to confess, we played more hangman than translating. I'll never forget the thing that made us truly friends though. It's kind of weird the way it happened, but it was the funniest thing I'd seen in a long time. Even thinking about it now makes me laugh. We (the Fredriksens and I) had taken a trip to Stockholm, Sweden to visit the temple there and do baptisms for the dead. It was an AMAZING experience! On the way there we stopped at a candy cart along the road to pick up some treats. Keep in mind Danish and Swedish candy is ALOT different from American candy. I bought this thing in a little bottle that the kids told me was like Pixi Stix. WRONG! It was NOTHING like that! This stuff was NASTY!!! It was this type of hot and sour salt. Danish kids love this stuff. I thought I was going to die when I tried it! Well, you can imagine I thought this was a great opportunity to prank Chris. Since I bought it in Sweden, Chris had never seen or tasted it before. So when I got back I told him, hey you should try this stuff I bought it's soooooo good! Of course I dumped a huge bunch of it in his hand and no sooner had he licked it up he was running to the bathroom dry heaving! HAHAHA!! I laughed SO hard which was really hard for me to conceal because we were in church! He was in the bathroom for about 15 minutes. When he came back he said what was that CRAP you gave me?! I've never tasted anything so gross! Then he tried to get me back for the rest of the time I was there until I left. He never did though. Hahaha. We were friends ever since.
It breaks my heart to hear that he will no longer be with us. I'll miss him and his friendship! To Chris, Du er smokt og dijlig og jeg vel inske til himlen. Jeg elsket dig mine fyorde!

3 comments:

Shana said...

I am so sorry Kami. Cancer is so scary. I know first hand! It is great we have the gospel though and know we will be together again!! I hope your ok!

Chris said...

What a sad story? How old is he? I hate the word cancer..I"m glad you'll have fond memories of him and can laugh at the good times you had.

Elaine said...

Chris has always been such a wonderful friend to you and I will miss him too. To answer Chris Pyne, Chris Peterson was on his mission in Denmark in 1999 when Kami was there so he is only 28 or so. He and Kami were always hanging out together since and what a great guy.