Tuesday, September 18, 2007

13? Yeah, You're Old Enough...

I was just reading an article about a website called Marryourdaughter.com. People actually put their daughters up for auction to suitable wannabe husbands. They price them between 24,500 to 47,000! One woman commented "we price our daughter so high, because we see her as an investment". Makes you sick doesn't it? Well, luckily this is a hoax. It was created by a guy in Brooklyn to create awareness of a very real problem. Many women he knows were married off in just this type of fashion. Some married and having kids as young as 13. Warren Jeffs comes to mind I'm sure. This guy who created it is trying to do something very noble. He said "this is an issue that people are extremely complacent about, and I said, 'I think I can find a way to get people to care, or at least start talking about it." He hopes that it will create controversy and spur outraged readers to pressure the local legislators to elevate the marriage age. I think that's a great idea. These poor women who are robbed of their childhoods to become under aged wives and mothers. At the age of 15 for most girls, it's basically enslavement. Well.. I hope he succeeds in what he's trying to do. I know it made me want to change things!

No comments: