Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What Do You Do?

I think it's time I tell you guys a little about the relationship between Alex and I. I also would love to hear feedback on the problems I'm having with her and what I should do. Alex is a smart kid. She's incredible at math, and reading, and she has always gotten really good grades in school. But she knows how to argue, and she does it every single day with me. That is not an exaggeration by far. I have at least an hour with her every day after school, except friday when she's out early, every tuesday and wednesday night, and all day saturday by myself while John is at school. It's when John isn't home that she acts up. She fights me on every little possible thing she can. I feel like I'm in a debate class with her. Then, when she doesn't get her way it's nothing but attitude from her. Tonight for example, she found John's math ruler in a folder he gave her and forgot it was in there. I told her he still needed it and she couldn't keep it so she needed to put it back with his school things. "NO" she said. "I want it". I said Alex, it's not yours, put it back. "It was in my folder he gave it to me". Again I said no Alex. He still needs that for school you can't keep it put it back. She continued to argue with me until I got mad and just yelled DO IT. At which point she rolled her eyes at me and with a nasty tone said fine. How do you handle a kid that refuses to listen to you? And that's not even all I've had to deal with tonight. We've sat her down and talked to her about how she needs to treat me with the same respect she treats John. We've taken away privileges and even grounded her for the way she treats me and doesn't listen. She has even gotten a spanking for one time in particular that was truly horrible. I mean.. I'm trying to love her and be her friend. But how on earth do you do that when she gives you this much grief?? We have tried everything to make her understand that she needs to be more respectful to me. It just goes in one ear and out the other. John's mom has had a lot of the same problems with her also. The only person she is truly good for is John. She'll behave most of the time at friends' houses and when she's visiting family, but at home it's like flipping on a switch. She's a completely different person. I'm at a loss you guys. I really am. I don't know what to do and I'm stressed out all the time by it. Which doesn't help how I interact with her. But I seriously can't go one day without having some sort of problem with her. She is CONSTANTLY pushing her boundaries with me and I'll admit I have no more ideas on how to handle it. John has tried everything I have tried everything. Nothing so far has worked. If any of you know what I should try PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! Let me know!!!

9 comments:

Kortney said...

Your need to spend some FUN one on one time with her. Go to lunch, take a trip to the park etc. Get to be a great friend to her before you try to take over as her mother. She will trust, respect and love you a lot more if you take the time to really bond with her.

Kortney said...

Communicate!!! Let her talk...You listen. Give praise. Don't be to harsh.

LOVE YOU! YOUR LITTLE BIG SISTER. CALL ME ANYTIME YOU NEED TO TALK!!

Chris said...

What great advice Kortney!! I ditto what you said. Be her friend, she's young and very impressionable right now. You are her example. Take her out and have a fun time. Do it a lot. Not just once in a while. She's lucky to have you. Put your arm around her, brush her hair, cuddle, read with her, anything that gives her that one on one attention. Hopefully, she'll come around. Good luck.

Elaine said...

I agree with what has been said. Try and imagine how it is so be her. Never having a stable mother, her grammy who has taken care of her since she was a baby moves and has a new man. Her daddy who she adores and has been her only constant now has another women plus a baby who everyone is crazy about. She is screaming for her on place and will do anything to get attention. The trouble she is getting into is for attention and she gets it by being in trouble. This is going to take some time and extreme patience and understanding on you and John's part. Remember she is a little girl who is hurting. wrap your arms around her and help her feel safe. I love you Kami, You are an awesome Mom to Connor and you are really trying with Alex. You have matured light years in such a short time. Don't give up and do everything you can to build a loving family relationship that I know is possible because you and John are two amazing people who love each other very much. HANG IN THERE, MY BEAUTIFUL GIRL.

Kimberlie said...

I second what Kortney said, and everyone else too. That's great advice. Try to build a relationship with her and THEN you can be a "mother" to her. It sounds like there is a power struggle. I think it would make a big difference to have alone time with her. Having a new baby who requires so much time and attention is hard on any kid. Like your mom said it will take a lot of patience and consistance. Which I'm sure can be so hard if you aren't getting sleep. But you can do it. I bet all the things said can make a big difference in time.

Also something I have realized. I can't force my kids to act a certain way I need to teach them with love what the right way to act is and then when they do something wrong talk with them about why it's wrong and let them know that I think they can make good choices and not bad ones. Hopefully this makes sense.

Shana said...

Kami,
I love what others have said! It is so true. You first need to build a friendship with love. Be her friend, take her shopping, take her to lunch, to a girl movie. Talk to her, REALLY talk to her. Have a girl night (have John take Conner) and rent a movie and have treats with her. Don't try to be controlling. Just praise, praise, praise! :) Hope it works. Update us on the progress! You can do it!

Abbi said...

Wow, what good advice everyone has given! This is really valuable stuff. You have so many people to support you in this, I know you will be able to get through it. Just give yourself and Alex lots of time. Everything takes time, especially relationships. Do all you can to build a positive relationship with Alex, but remember that things most likely won't change in an instant. Talk to the Lord about your frustrations--He's really good at listening and understanding and comforting.

Michelle Pyne said...

That is a huge challenge. You are smart to be thinking of solutions and asking for ideas. I am impressed by the wise suggestions that everyone has given! Good luck - we will be thinking of you and praying for you!

Kami Hall said...

Thanks for all your advice! I've been trying to spend time with her reading, making cookies, watching movies, but I'm sad to say she still acts the same towards me. No change yet. We'll keep trying.